Main Menu

News:

Check out our  Discord Server.  Currently, it resembles a ZOMBIE.  It needs brains!

Redirection!

Please check out our new and improved home magical girl role playing experience: Prismatica, where you can Refract Your Destiny!


1uidPrismaticaBanner2.png


This forum will remain open as an archive.  

Adulting Goals?

Started by Senkusha, 21-Aug-2023 (Mon) @ 14:25:42

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Senkusha

I remember back when I was in the eighth grade.  I knew that I wanted to be a computer programmer when I grew up.  I tried to pursue that goal for a long time, before finally washing out of the Tech industry (because of certain life events), and now because I just lost the motivation to tweak with the Tech -- I just want the damn thing to work.

At any rate, this got me thinking about my current career path, if you can call being a cashier a career, and I got to thinking about just what in the hell do I want to do with the rest of my life?  I know that I enjoy helping people solve problems they have (when I have solutions for those problems), but I'm kinda tired of always being yelled at by frustrated people (customers).  I enjoy keeping paperwork organized and tidy, and I don't mind doing the sometimes tedious mundane work of filling out paperwork -- after all, somebody  has to do it, right?  

But at the same time, I want whatever I work on to be worthwhile, like I don't want it to just be a waste of my precious time --  and I want whatever I end up doing to be worthwhile financially.  I don't want to work until one day I just drop dead.  That doesn't sound like any fun for anybody who I'd be working with.

Maybe I need some options.  I hate selling stuff, so I don't think anything dealing with Sales is a good fit for me.  I'm pretty well burned out on Customer Service types of jobs.  I really like writing, and being creative, more so artsy.  But I can't really draw worth a damn, and I'm an okay writer.  I would say I'd write code, making software was always something that I enjoyed as an (older) child, but I just don't have an analytical enough mind for all the tiny step by steps that make a program work -- without constantly revising the code trial by error style.

I know that I can't physically meet the demands of most labor jobs, being on my feet all day -- I just can't do it, and my entire body aches constantly.  Whether I'm getting the onset of arthritis or muscular inflammation, I don't know.  But, cooking was another option that I'd consider, but, I can't stand all day long like that, and I really don't like messing with fire -- besides, people (customers) can be all too picky, and I think if I cooked following recipes all day, I'd get pretty bored, since I like to change things up with a little dash of this and a sprinkle of that.

So, I'm left with a desk type of job that probably involves paperwork of some sort -- maybe drafting artcles or emails or something, but nothing on a professional/author level.  But yet, what could I do that would allow me to pay the bills, and have some kind of satisfaction, a feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day?  How can I determine what kinds of things I would enjoy doing to occupy my time so that I can afford to pay the damn bills?

Have I just gotten lazy with my older age?  Or maybe I've just gotten more picky?  I don't know, and I don't really know how to fix this problem that I've found myself in.  Nor do I know whom to ask for guidance.  Does anybody out there in Internet-land have any ideas?

Creative Pioneer exploring anime role playing adventures!

TwitchisMental

You may wanna look into something like a help desk job, service representative, or even a receptionist at a doctors office.

ZandraJoi

When I was younger, I wanted to be 2 things. A bilinguist & marine biologist. I know, I know, that second one surprises people :D
But... life hits you & your well thought out plan takes on a different journey. Not necessarily for the better.
Right now, I just do all I can to get by day by day. Even if I had the mental willpower, I wouldn't start something new in this economy & day & age.

Henrywrites

Growing up, I wanted to be a Catholic Reverend Father. The plan did not work out as I planned and it was not something that was even possible since I didn't pass the class that I needed to pass. Nowadays, I am contented with what I do and don't feel like I was lazy. I hope you don't feel bad too or think you are lazy.

ZandraJoi

Quote from: Henrywrites on 09-Jan-2024 (Tue) @ 00:04:36Growing up, I wanted to be a Catholic Reverend Father. The plan did not work out as I planned and it was not something that was even possible since I didn't pass the class that I needed to pass. Nowadays, I am contented with what I do and don't feel like I was lazy. I hope you don't feel bad too or think you are lazy.
I think if one is content with their lot in life & not pining away at the Would've's Should've's Could've's, then that's the most important thing. :)
It's not being lazy; it's being fufilled.