Kawaii Klub

Study Hall - General Discussion => Kagome's General Gossip and Discussion => Topic started by: Senkusha on 21-Mar-2024 (Thu) @ 12:43:28

Title: Thinking of starting a Wiki
Post by: Senkusha on 21-Mar-2024 (Thu) @ 12:43:28
I'm thinking of starting a wiki, however, I'm not sure what I want to publish on it yet.  Does anybody have any ideas?

I  mean, I could create a knowledge base of anime characters.  Or I could use it as a knowledge base for a fictional world that I create.
Title: Re: Thinking of starting a Wiki
Post by: ZandraJoi on 27-Mar-2024 (Wed) @ 10:42:43
Since there are already Wikis out there for already established characters, I'd say start one with your own. What you can do, if it's allowed, is to post excerpts on the forums you are on to get feedback.
I've never done a Wiki myself but I've used them a lot. Here's a question, how would you prevent others from editing it? From what I saw, on some Wikis people can add & subtract as needed.
Title: Re: Thinking of starting a Wiki
Post by: Senkusha on 27-Mar-2024 (Wed) @ 21:41:03
Quote from: ZandraJoi on 27-Mar-2024 (Wed) @ 10:42:43..., how would you prevent others from editing it? From what I saw, on some Wikis people can add & subtract as needed.
It's actually really easy.  There's a permission that needs to be set or denied.  I can even tie the wiki into the membership system the forum uses.
Title: Re: Thinking of starting a Wiki
Post by: ZandraJoi on 03-Apr-2024 (Wed) @ 10:45:32
Quote from: Senkusha on 27-Mar-2024 (Wed) @ 21:41:03
Quote from: ZandraJoi on 27-Mar-2024 (Wed) @ 10:42:43..., how would you prevent others from editing it? From what I saw, on some Wikis people can add & subtract as needed.
It's actually really easy.  There's a permission that needs to be set or denied.  I can even tie the wiki into the membership system the forum uses.
Oh that would be very cool! Do you have to pay to have a Wiki? I see Wiki as a general asking for donations every so often.
Title: Re: Thinking of starting a Wiki
Post by: Senkusha on 03-Apr-2024 (Wed) @ 19:48:25
Nope.  Totally free!  Although, I might add a Donations Accepted button to the site at some point.  I refuse to put advertising on here.  But I need a little bit of extra to help mitigate the cost of running the site.  I'm still not 100% decided though.
Title: Re: Thinking of starting a Wiki
Post by: ZandraJoi on 10-Apr-2024 (Wed) @ 09:26:39
Quote from: Senkusha on 03-Apr-2024 (Wed) @ 19:48:25Nope.  Totally free!  Although, I might add a Donations Accepted button to the site at some point.  I refuse to put advertising on here.  But I need a little bit of extra to help mitigate the cost of running the site.  I'm still not 100% decided though.
The only advertising on my forum is from Proboards. I can see how people like the revenue from it.
Maybe you could sell services? I've seen that on promotion forums. People who may need a virtual hand at running a forum, the tech side, even graphics & designs. That would help give some more income. Some people don't mind paying people for help.
Title: Re: Thinking of starting a Wiki
Post by: Senkusha on 10-Apr-2024 (Wed) @ 20:11:57
If I was any good at that stuff, I'd probably advertise that I could do it.  LOL :nosweat: