Kawaii Klub

Otaku Cultural Studies - Anime Fansite Zone => General Anime and Manga Discussion => Topic started by: Un Gato on 23-Oct-2006 (Mon) @ 01:30:52

Title: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Un Gato on 23-Oct-2006 (Mon) @ 01:30:52
I believe it is.  I know I use it partially in that manner, though it is dependent on the individual anime (Ghost in the Shell is less so, Tenchi Muyo more so).  I have several friends that I know use it in this manner, and I worry about them.  They are in for dissapointment.

Note that I don't assume escapism to be harmful unless it is not acknowledged by the individual.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Skuld-chan on 23-Oct-2006 (Mon) @ 14:10:49
Just to clarify, do you mean to debate: "Do people use Anime as an Escape Mechanism"?

I know I do.  It's fun to go off into a fantasy world where I don't have to worry about taking our the trash and who to pay with my next three paychecks.  More so, I enjoy role playing in those environments, where any goes.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Un Gato on 24-Oct-2006 (Tue) @ 01:56:12
Quote from: Skuld-chan on 23-Oct-2006 (Mon) @ 14:10:49Just to clarify, do you mean to debate: "Do people use Anime as an Escape Mechanism"?

I know I do.  It's fun to go off into a fantasy world where I don't have to worry about taking our the trash and who to pay with my next three paychecks.  More so, I enjoy role playing in those environments, where any goes.
Yes, that is what I meant.

What worries me is that often times I see people using anime to try and not only forget their problems, but avoid them.  Forgetting for a while is fine, but it is no solution.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Warlord Vir on 24-Oct-2006 (Tue) @ 12:00:09
If not anime, then Video game,  TV, books, or something else.
They will escape with.
Some people hate facing reality.
And I do not blame them.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Dreamseeker on 25-Oct-2006 (Wed) @ 09:32:21
There are many methods to escape reality... Books, anime, tv, drugs, alcohol... The key to being healthy is all in moderation. It is good to be able to de-stress for awhile, relax, and let go. But it is bad to forget about reality to the point that reality isn't taken care of.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Sari on 25-Oct-2006 (Wed) @ 11:11:44
I use the internet as my escapists, which includes, well, all of the above most of the time.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Warlord Vir on 25-Oct-2006 (Wed) @ 13:51:44
At times,I wish I could go another world(D&D world) and escape reality.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Sari on 25-Oct-2006 (Wed) @ 14:03:23
That would be fun, wouldn't it?   :hehe:
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Warlord Vir on 25-Oct-2006 (Wed) @ 23:44:33
If you even find a way to D&D world. Please tell me.
I would love to trade boring and stress world for a exciting and cool world.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Un Gato on 26-Oct-2006 (Thu) @ 01:34:50
Well, apparently the answer is a definite "yes."
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Skuld-chan on 26-Oct-2006 (Thu) @ 08:37:18
Quote from: Warlord Vir on 25-Oct-2006 (Wed) @ 23:44:33If you even find a way to D&D world. Please tell me.
I would love to trade boring and stress world for a exciting and cool world.
Actually, it may not be all it's cracked up to me.  Once in that fantasy world, you have to deal with unheard of stresses and stuff.  While it's true that it won't be boring (at least at first), it will defintaly be a challenge.  You now have the additional stress of trying to stay alive, and usually there is no "reset" if you die.  Let's think about this for a second.  Not only would you have to deal with this fantasy world, but you would also have to design your own character that you'd play.  Once you desgn him (or her), you'd be stuck as that character, and I know for a fact that most people don't put a great deal of thought into thier characters to try to think about every personaltiy quirk (except for maybe Shidako  ;) )  Then after the first few times to doing battle over and over again, it would eventually get boring, but you'd still have to worry about staying alive.

Nah, for me, I'd rather enjoy to visit those worlds, and watch others within that world, rather than be in that world.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Warlord Vir on 26-Oct-2006 (Thu) @ 17:36:00
good point
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Slade on 28-Oct-2006 (Sat) @ 12:19:26
Anime is relaxing along with other forms of media, it can help you be creative etc. Certinely I won't let it consume me otherwise I'll become lazy and do nothing else but watching anime etc and neglect my other responcbilties. The last thing you want is to be lazy and say sod it to the world.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Warlord Vir on 28-Oct-2006 (Sat) @ 20:41:55
At time, I am tempt to wish I could just watch Anime and eat food all day long.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Skuld-chan on 28-Oct-2006 (Sat) @ 23:01:04
Someday, I might just take a vacation when all my coding projects are done, and just do that!
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Warlord Vir on 28-Oct-2006 (Sat) @ 23:35:10
HAHAHAHA
Good
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Un Gato on 03-Nov-2006 (Fri) @ 00:47:04
I suppose the next question is: Have you ever used anime yourself as an unreasonable excape method?

I have.  I think the real notice that it has occured is that terrible, empty longing to be somewhere other than where you are; somewhere that you know can't exist.  I have personally lost sight of what I want to do in the real world at times because of this, and it worries me, though not as much now because I've come to understand it more.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Skuld-chan on 03-Nov-2006 (Fri) @ 08:11:44
I'll admit, that sometimes I've had fantasies that I was adventuring throughout the land, without a care in the world...much like Ryoko, Nagi, or other characters.  In my heart, I know that such a fantasy would be not impossible, but farfetched, and certianly not in this time.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Warlord Vir on 03-Nov-2006 (Fri) @ 08:57:01
Ditto.
I has already stated there are time where I too use anime and other stuff to temporary escape reality.
And how wish to be in another world.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: janus zeal on 17-Nov-2006 (Fri) @ 09:19:27
Sometimes (most of the time) I wish the world was like an anime. But that doesnt stop me from faceing reality, I just avoid it alot. lol
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Warlord Vir on 19-Nov-2006 (Sun) @ 20:12:31
Which Anime world?
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: draconious380 on 25-Jan-2007 (Thu) @ 22:07:27
I like to daydream in an anime style.  It makes the world less boring.  I wish I could be in a world like Gundam, I want my own giant robot.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Warlord Vir on 31-Jan-2007 (Wed) @ 18:13:06
Sadly, I sometime it what anime I am watch.
I may daydream about being a demon on AMG or fighting angel in EVA.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: draconious380 on 31-Jan-2007 (Wed) @ 18:42:47
I can relate.  I have wondered how it feels to operate a grappler ship in Outlaw Star among other things.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Warlord Vir on 31-Jan-2007 (Wed) @ 20:32:43
Sometime, It feel like it would great to jump in the screen and be a part of the show.
But You would crack head/screen before that ever happen.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: draconious380 on 31-Jan-2007 (Wed) @ 21:23:01
Well at least you will live the experience during the concussion dreams.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Warlord Vir on 31-Jan-2007 (Wed) @ 21:41:21
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Very funny.
I will try to leave any brain damage and understand the simply things of what I can do and what I cannot do.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: draconious380 on 31-Jan-2007 (Wed) @ 22:21:35
That's all it comes down to.  When you cannot seperate reality from anime you need help.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Warlord Vir on 01-Feb-2007 (Thu) @ 13:53:32
It true in even reality. People can be under the delusion of what they can and what they cannot do.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: draconious380 on 01-Feb-2007 (Thu) @ 15:34:54
true
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Warlord Vir on 01-Feb-2007 (Thu) @ 23:29:54
I do not why, but I leave somewhat slightly depressed. I wonder if the stress I been getting or because depress after finish some of my favorite animes series.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Ben Weetman on 17-Feb-2007 (Sat) @ 16:29:32
i think for me the deadly combination of anime the internet my overactive imagination and music on top of a military career has left me in an odd world indeed now heres a question in your escapism do you place yourself in animes Particularly tenchi for me and B do you create anime super worlds in your mind where all fantasy characters you know interact unfortunatly i do and it has often left me in an odd mindset.
i guess for me its the person i cant be the places i cant go and the people ill never meet or interact with and In a humillating way i guess i cant accept this truth so here I am playing rpgs my friend a psychologist actually says its a mindset shared with the greatest actors musicians and storytellers it isnt that bad look at Christopher Lee and the like. 
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: draconious380 on 17-Feb-2007 (Sat) @ 16:34:29
To be a good actor I guess you must be able to fell like the person you are portraying.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Ben Weetman on 18-Feb-2007 (Sun) @ 13:53:44
look at method actors like pacino and brando they practically became their roles.
apocalypse now (a recent source for my rpging) brando actually got so into his role sheen had to stop at the end to do a re take coz it creeped him out so much.
as for music ever heard of nick drake? he was so introverted that his music becme like a view on the world from afar something shared heavily with both layne stayley, howard hughes, kurdt cobain, and the kinks in particular.
art wise ive never met an artist who is completly down to earth its very difficult to draw with little imagination though i admit mine seems to be orientated around women at the moment (got to get a girlfriend dude)
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: draconious380 on 18-Feb-2007 (Sun) @ 14:35:23
:blink: :blink:  Ok.
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Ben Weetman on 22-Feb-2007 (Thu) @ 06:39:41
ha! welcome to the world of weetmans tangents basically talking to me is like an episode of 24 or the circle of life.... in other words not too linear.
well maybe not the circle of life (bursts into song) "the circle of life, is a  bit like an english bear tryin' to tell you whats going on talking but changing subjects and going off on one and going off on another tangent but eventually hell get back to what hes originally talking about.. its the circle of life"
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: draconious380 on 22-Feb-2007 (Thu) @ 10:57:29
:blink: :x :doze: :-O
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: AI on 21-Mar-2007 (Wed) @ 22:11:35
ok u lost me in there ben
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Skuld-chan on 27-Mar-2007 (Tue) @ 17:57:51
Quote from: Ben Weetman on 17-Feb-2007 (Sat) @ 16:29:32i think for me the deadly combination of anime the internet my overactive imagination and music on top of a military career has left me in an odd world indeed now heres a question in your escapism do you place yourself in animes Particularly tenchi for me and B

Do you create anime super worlds in your mind where all fantasy characters you know interact unfortunatly i do and it has often left me in an odd mindset...
(A slightly modified quote.  :-[ )

Actually, yes, sometimes I do place myself in Animes...or more accuratly, I take those animes (specifically the characters) and bring them into my real world surronding.... almost like imaginary friends when I was little.  I think sometimes that's the only thing that keeps me sane in an insane environment.

I have to answer yes to your second question as well.  Heck, I even created a RPG here just FOR that purpose.  To see just what would happen....if not I was the only one controlling things but to add to the mayhem, other people would add to the chaos.    ;D
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: AI on 27-Mar-2007 (Tue) @ 19:57:04
ok once agian u all lsot me
Title: Re: Is anime escapist?
Post by: Slade on 11-May-2007 (Fri) @ 17:03:20
Quote from: Skuld-chan on 27-Mar-2007 (Tue) @ 17:57:51
Quote from: Ben Weetman on 17-Feb-2007 (Sat) @ 16:29:32i think for me the deadly combination of anime the internet my overactive imagination and music on top of a military career has left me in an odd world indeed now heres a question in your escapism do you place yourself in animes Particularly tenchi for me and B

Do you create anime super worlds in your mind where all fantasy characters you know interact unfortunatly i do and it has often left me in an odd mindset...
(A slightly modified quote.  :-[ )

Actually, yes, sometimes I do place myself in Animes...or more accuratly, I take those animes (specifically the characters) and bring them into my real world surronding.... almost like imaginary friends when I was little.  I think sometimes that's the only thing that keeps me sane in an insane environment.

I have to answer yes to your second question as well.  Heck, I even created a RPG here just FOR that purpose.  To see just what would happen....if not I was the only one controlling things but to add to the mayhem, other people would add to the chaos.    ;D

I don't think imagining the what if scenario involving anime as such is uncommon, it';s the imagination, the desire to see the bigger picture and wanting to see our favourite characters achieve greater signficance and greater challenge. Do I characterise anime into life, not really given some events did happen that might as well be anime. For example before i got into watching tenchi i had to endure constant teasing and intrusions by an obessive woman at work, I even dubbed her an 'ryoko' at one point because her character fitted that well to the anime counterpart.

We all see comparisions with things, there's nothing wrong at that just at the end of the day as long as you can pay your bills be part of a conversation with friends and strangers. And not think you can dodge 50 bullets or be a sarcastic  :cussing: and think no one will be hostile to you just because it was like that film or animation that you saw.

Actually I'm grateful for the Internet, I can watch stuff at my own time and when i want to whilst not being bothered by adverts and such.