Kawaii Klub

Study Hall - General Discussion => Kagome's General Gossip and Discussion => Topic started by: Senkusha on 14-Oct-2023 (Sat) @ 16:53:13

Title: DNA as a Storage Medium?
Post by: Senkusha on 14-Oct-2023 (Sat) @ 16:53:13
It's been said that DNA can old about 14 billion years worth of information, and that it's extremely durable.  DNA has four different "chemicals"?  [adenine (A), cytosine (C), guanine (G), and thymine (T)].  I always struggled with how we could encode information in a "four-way" state.  Computers use zeros and ones as different switches.  This is based on electricity.  Either there is an electric charge, or there isn't.

I know that Electricity and Magnetism are related to one another.  Wouldn't it make sense if we have four states.  Two based on Electricity, and two based on Magnetism?  So we'd have zero, one, positive (attractive), and negative (repulsive), and each one of these states is assigned one of the letters above (A, C, G, and T)  Oh, and you can't have a null in the magnetic field, as that's the plane of inertia (I think?).

Anyway, what would some of the implications of using DNA as a storage medium be?  I mean, you could encode all the information into your DNA, no more needing to have USB drives, or smart phones even!  You wouldn't loose any information, ever, and it wouldn't be destroyed.  Magnetic tapes, and CD's eventually loose their durability after a period of years.  But as long as a person is still alive, the DNA would continuously be rejuvenated.